thinkScript® is a built-in programming language that gives you the capability of creating your own analysis tools such as studies, strategies, watchlist columns, etc. In thinkScript®, you decide which kind of data to analyze with which methods. Functions present in this programming language are capable of retrieving both market and fiscal data and provide you with numerous techniques to process it. You are even able to combine many technical indicators in one by referencing them in your code or just using functions that represent the most popular studies such as simple or exponential moving average.
How do I learn to script?
We suggest you start with a set of tutorials we’ve prepared for you. You can find them here. Each tutorial comes with a quiz so you can check your knowledge.
If you already know how to create a script but are unsure what function or constant to use, you can find descriptions of all the thinkScript® building blocks: functions, constants, declarations, operators, and reserved words.
How can I use thinkScript®?
There are several ways you can use thinkScript® in thinkorswim:
- Create your own studies. Go to Charts -> Studies -> Edit Studies… -> Create… This will open thinkScript® Editor; more information here.
- Create your own strategies. Strategies are technical analysis tools that, in addition to analyzing data, add simulated orders to the chart so you can backtest your strategy. Strategies can be created the same way as studies, however, they must contain the AddOrder function. This function defines what kind of simulated order should be added on what condition. To create a strategy, go to Charts -> Studies -> Edit Studies… -> Strategies tab -> Create… More on thinkScript® strategies: here.
- Create your own watchlist columns. Available in watchlists all across the platform, this functionality calculates your custom formulas defined in thinkScript® language. More on Custom Quotes: here.
- Create alerts. You can be notified every time a study-based condition is fulfilled. This functionality is available from MarketWatch -> Alerts –> Study Alert. More info on study alerts: here.
- Add conditional orders. You can automatically place or cancel an order when a certain study-based condition is fulfilled, including conditions written in thinkScript®. This functionality is available from Order Entry -> Order Rules -> gear-and-plus icon. More info on thinkScript® Conditional Orders: here.
- Create scan queries. You can use thinkScript® in Stock Hacker to find symbols that meet your criteria. More info on thinkScript® in Stock Hacker: here.
Unusual Volume Scanner: http://tos.mx/C3kvpQ
BB Squeeze Scanner: http://tos.mx/mxgODc
Dumb Money Scanner: http://tos.mx/vFBMW7
Over Bought Scanner: http://tos.mx/6SRXXu
Over Sold Scanner: http://tos.mx/pauOEA
BB Lower Crossover W/MACD Bear: http://tos.mx/ljkvafA
BB Upper Crossover W/MACD Bullish: http://tos.mx/1fjHPke
Bearish 3 Candle Gap Scan: http://tos.mx/zxfBQMo
Bullish 3 Candle BB Upper Crossover: http://tos.mx/IWNQEVM
Bearish 3 Candle BB Lower Crossover: http://tos.mx/8GBMHJX
Bullish 3 Candle Gap Scan: http://tos.mx/gS8nyOh
Auto Support Resistance Lines: http://tos.mx/11hO7JT
Transparent Traders Fib Alerts: http://tos.mx/dfpfZtE
Volume Buy Sells: http://tos.mx/zdA7Xfm
Mentorship Supply & Demand Zones: http://tos.mx/PYwKDBq
Mentorship When to Buy Sell Accumulation: http://tos.mx/R9IAaIQ
Moving Average Cloud Transparent Traders: http://tos.mx/otFk5lx
Average True Range “ATR”: https://tos.mx/1cCGcGn
Transparent Traders created the first-ever solution that specifically alerts for swing trades. It will also alert for bullish & bearish day trades. Our Blackbox runs off of multiple algorithms and uses predictive A.I. to locate the most accurate day or swing trades that it calculates to give the best chance for success. Couple this with proper Due Diligence and our users are given the edge needed to be more successful in the trading world.